Monday, April 10, 2006

Boy....You Ain't Right

I've been feeling like crap. Absolute crap lately. Run down. No energy for a long time. Irritable....you know, the same feelings all photogs have. So I figured it was just partly because of my job and my schedule of weird hours.

I went to the doctor and he ran a battery of blood work. Turns out my cholesterol is fantastic. Shocked the crap outta me. My blood pressure is right on the money. Again, for a guy my size, those factors were shocking. What wasn't registering right was my thyroid. Seems that my thyroid levels were way low. So I headed off to get an ultra-sound of the little glands. Turns out, like me, they're big and irregular. They're not working correctly. Seems they're trying to work too hard and not accomplishing anything. Sounds like me at work.

Anyways, I thought I was gonna need a nuclear scan of thyroid but my doc said that would be an option if the medication doesn't work. So, now I need to take a thyroid pill of 100 micrograms every day to help me regulate my thyroid.

Turns out that hypothyroidism is a pretty common problem. Estimates put it at 11 million people suffering from it. Many people go living with the problem and don't know it.

Like I said, I ain't right....yet.

No comments: