Thursday, December 30, 2004

My First Story

As a news videographer, I've seen a LOT of blood and guts in my day. I've been in television for 15 years, so nothing really fazes me. Well, let me qualify that last statement. Hardly anything fazes me. If it involves children, then it bothers me. This is NOT one of those times though.

No, this is my first story I ever covered as a news videographer. First time I went out by myself.

A virgin, you can say.

I was sent to a man vs. train fatality. Not a car vs. train. MAN vs. train. I was expecting a mangled car. Nope. WRONG.

What I got was a drunk who was using the railroad tracks to navigate his walk home. Apparantly, he was so plastered that he NEVER HEARD THE TRAIN COMING!!

The one thing that I can be sure of, is that he never knew what hit him. And, as we all know, trains can't stop on a dime. So, the train hit him. Then it dragged him. Dragged him three quarters of a mile down the track before it could stop. The poor man was left in pieces.

There were pieces of him left that whole section of track. Finger here. Right foot there. Section of brain on metal track.

And all I could think of when I saw it all... COOL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great footage that made your private reel, but never made air?