Saturday, September 24, 2005

I Don't Even Know Who You Are Anymore...

I just got my gear back after it being used by other phtotgs from my station. Now, I know it's not "my gear". It's the station's and the company that I work for. But you do tend to form a bond with your gear. You get comfortable with it after using it daily. It sometimes becomes a part of you. You rely on it. I feel like that with my camera sometimes. It's your partner. Your wingman, as it were.

I was off for two weeks. I don't know where my camera has been, what it's seen, who has touched it. It's sort of like the Las Vegas slogan: What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Well, I guess I can live with that. I'll need a little time to be reconciled with my camera. We'll be a little aloof with each other at first. I'll play coy, DVCAM will act a little shy. You know how it is when you meet someone again and they should tell you something but they're afraid.

I think that my camera was traumatized a little while I was off. I found it in engineering on a bench with a piece of tape on it saying "OK 9/23/05". What happened to it??? No note. No description. Nothing. Although, I found it with it's cover off and the wireless receiver holder removed and a new bracket attached.

This was her in happier days. Before surgery..

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



We're getting new batteries, Sony's thin Lithium batteries and the new bracket lets us use the holder with the new batteries. Someone went and had the bracket attached on their own. That's just great. Just one problem. I don't have the new batteries yet. I do have the old Anton Bauer 3 pin batteries that work with the adapter that slides into the Sony "V" for their batteries. My wireless holder doesn't fit the AB adapter now. So, I can't use my reciever. Why?? I can't find the old adapter part that was taken off!!! Bastards!!!!

My camera and it's parts have been mutilated. The unmitigated horror. It's suffering and I along with it.

And, if that weren't enough, when I got to my locker, I found it unlocked. Now, I can forgive a lot of things. But leaving my locker unlocked, when you went and got the key and took my gear out to use it for the day and then didn't bother to lock it back up is just a slap in the face. I'm dusting for fingerprints later.

Then my stick mic was missing. I found it after a search lasting a half an hour. I found it sitting in a live truck. It was all by itself. Apparantly, it saw what happened to the camera and decided to hide. Poor little mic.

At least that's my theory.

4 comments:

ewink said...

I remember, back in Springfield, when I returned from a vacation. All my baby's switches were moved around. Someone even had the balls to open up her panel and switch her to line audio...

The worse part is that I think she concented to it. She hadn't been happy with me after I made her stay outside during a hailstorm.

Alas, my new camera - well she's an older woman. Defined if you would. And am forced to share her for now but I know she really prefers to be with me. She gains up to 18db gain with very little noise, perfect for our middle of the night shananagins...

Anyway, I'm rambling. Sorry you didn't have a better vacation. Take care!

Lenslinger said...

I'd definitely look into pressing charges...

Kenneth said...

I love the part about you playing coy and the camera being shy. Good stuff. My Camera gets a little angry with me when I use one of the newer handi cams around the shop. I keep telling her its only because I have too and that I would never shoot an entire pkg with one of those cheap things. Truth is, she doesn't know about the trip to Iraq with the PD-150

The Colonel

Anonymous said...

um ... you guys need help ... no seriously ...pschological advise ....


where are my cheeto's!