Monday, July 24, 2006

People Are Just Plain Stupid

I was sent out to a pedestrian vs. train accident this morning. In most cases, as this one was, they turn out to be a suicide. More often than not, they're successful in their attempt as today's was.

I'm at the scene and people are driving by, slowing down and asking me all kinds of questions I have no real answers to.

"How do I get to Route 83?"

"How long will the road be closed"

"Someone get hit by a train? Were they hurt bad?"

WHAT?? HURT BAD?

Hell no!! They're fine. The train's engine was damaged beyond repair though. Guy just took off up into the sky. Had a big "S" on his chest. Should've seen it.

(I'm omitting the obligatory Here's Your Sign Reference but I'm really tempted.)

Ok, that's what I wanted to say. All I really did was stare at the guy asking the question until he got the answer..

"Uh..yeah..I guess it was bad, huh?"

As the onlooker walked off, a cop comes up to me and asks, "Did he just ask what I think I heard?"

Yep.

"People are just plain stupid.", said the cop.

You know, some of the time, yeah they are.

3 comments:

turdpolisher said...

ever heard of anybody hurt good?

Widescreen said...

The last train v's person I did was a genuine accident by the pedestrian. However the end result was not a pretty one.

We have a bridge over our river which is a frequent leaping point for those trying to make a dramatic and hasty exit. We no longer cover suicides and it's a general rule amoungst all the networks.

I have also heard of the odd case where the car into the tree was not always driver fatigue.

It's a sad world we live in that someone who wishes to die can choose to do it in such dramatic fashion.

Monsoon said...

Hi!

People aren't just stupid, they are inconsiderate and callous too. What kind of questions were they on the site of an accident?

I can understand how you just stared at your man in the car. I think I would have felt like giving him a "wake up slap" in the face...

Nice blog, interesting. I'll be back.

Hugs from Monsoon in Norway