Tuesday, February 21, 2006

It's 8:15am on a Tuesday...

All apologies to Billy Joel but I couldn't think of a better header.

My cell phone goes off as I'm getting ready to log onto the computer at work . I hate when the phone goes off and I see it's from the desk so close to my shift ending. I answer it, knowing it can't be good.

"Brian, we have sort of a standoff situation going on. US Marshalls and the Joint Fugitive Task Force were serving a warrant. Guy is barricaded in his bathroom. Can you go scope it out?"

I grumble a half-hearted affirmative and head off to pee before leaving. You have to do that. Never know when you'll get the chance at a standoff. I head over to the scene, (first on scene, I may add!) thankfuly the scene is about five minutes away from the station. I see that it's not a full fledged standoff. The SWAT team hasn't brought out MOTHER, the armored vehicle that they use in standoff situations. Only a few members are around and the US Marshalls along with the Cleveland Police are not weapons ready.

And then the neighbrhood wakes up. They all come out and stand behind me asking all inds of questions. I feel like the Today show with all those idiots standing in back of Matt and Katie. I get all the angles from the people. Murder, drugs, it was a chase, etc. I finally turn around and tell the looky-lou's that it was a warrant being served for a Federal Weapons Charge.

After shutting the crowd up, I notice SWAT going heading into the house. They bring a woman out and then they start shaking hands.

The guy wasn't there. The woman that came out was his girfriend. She was asleep and didn't know what was going on until SWAT knocked on her door. Turns out the JFTF and the Marshalls got a tip from an informant and they called SWAT to get this guy. He's vowed not to surrender.

There was no man barricaded in a bathroom. It was all over in 45 minutes. I got a little OT and was able to get home quickly.

So endeth my day with a little excitement.

No comments: