Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Baby Steps Are The Hardest

Yesterday our station is now broadcasting in 16:9. We switched over for the 6:00pm show. That means now, everything we shoot is in 16:9 aspect ratio. It's a bit discombobulating because after shooting for 15 years in 4:3, learning new habits and having to toss old ones for shooting will be a rough road.

Some of the video shot for yesterdays show was a bit squashed but all in all, it was a good first day. We go t a new graphics package and a new news set and a weather set out of it. It's our first step to true HD by 2009. Now if we'd just get those XD Cam cameras that are ordered rumored to be coming...

2 comments:

Widescreen said...

We went widescreen in 2002. For weeks we were getting info on what and how to frame and shoot. I joined b-roll at the same time and wanted an alias and that was all that was in my head..........

I love it. It took a little getting used to, but it's so much nicer. Just a shame as most TV's are still 4:3

Like you, we are looking to upgrade camera's soon. Sony XD are on a list to look at as well as the new Thompson camera's. Formally known as Phillips but seem to be good.

Kenneth said...

I loved 16x9. I loved HD. I miss it. With the HD camera I could print amazing stills from my video. You can't do that with beta. I think you can get good stills from the XD as well because you can shoot on mpeg format. If you have any questions about 16x9 go to the WRAL blog and contact Richard Adkins. Good luck.