Thursday, February 22, 2007

A Night At The "Still Mill"


I grew up in Pittsburgh which in it's heyday was known as the steel capital of the world. Today however,my hometown is now a technology and medical city. I'd never been in a working steel mill(pronounced still mill to you non-Pittsburgh people) while working in Pittsburgh. I've driven by a few, the closest was the Edgar Thompson works in Braddock, PA but never been inside an actual working mill. Until yesterday.

All this week, I've been shooting these stories, "A Night At....". Basically a take off on the movie A Night At The Museum. We've been showing the things that come alive at night when you are asleep. Last night Obie, my reporter, and I shot at the A.G. Mittal steel mill here in downtown Cleveland.

It was fascinating to say the least. What I didn't expect was to be able to feel the heat radiating off these slabs from so far away. Things are kinda hot at 2000 degrees even when doused with water and being flattened into giant rolls of steel.

Another thing I didn't count on was waking up this morning with aching sinuses and blocked nasal passages. Pardon me for being graphic here, but I've been blowing out black crap today every time I blow my nose. I really don't know how the guys that work these mills can stand it. Maybe they're so used to it by now. God bless them for dealing with it. Lord knows, I couldn't.

I just want to be able to breathe normally again and stop expelling the black crap out my nostrils.

2 comments:

Kenneth said...

Hey Brian,

I'm sure you read about the death of Colonel Corn on Lenslingers blog. Well I couldn't stay gone for long. I have a new blog at kenyacec@blogspot.com

It's a little different from the other blog but still is about photography. I hope you come by and visit. I miss my blogging brothers.

Ken (the artist formerly known as Colonel Corn)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I enjoyed the last three post you did! I haven't been on your site in a little while. Your job is really interesting to me and sometimes when I am watching channel 3 news I wonder if you are doing any of the shooting. They should announce who the camera people are too, not just the reporter! Anyway, great posts, it was quite enjoyable!

Hope you feel better soon.