Saturday, March 05, 2005

Cops and Their Sense of Humor

Well, when it snows here, our desk goes ape-shit. We have to cover every little god-dammed fender bender that comes over the scanner. Now, for me, that means morning rush-hour. And it's ever so lovely to fight traffic and rubber neckers to get to the scene, only to pull over and cause more of a backup in traffic.

Well, past week, we've had our share of snow and snow in the morning causes accidents. I was sent to a "pretty serious" accident according to my desk. I get there, fighting traffic all the way. It looks pretty minor. A mini-van that skidded off the highway into the plowed snow and knocked over an exit sign, breaking out a couple of the van's side windows.

I put the flashing strobe on my car and get out. Out comes the tripod and camera and I walk over to the accident. As I get there, a Cleveland officer winds his window down and starts yelling at me. I couldn't hear him over the passing cars, so I head over to hear what he wanted.

I get over and apologize to the officer that I couldn't hear him. He tells me no problem and then asks did I know this was a fatal ax?

"No!!! Really?? It doesn't look that serious.", I told him.

"Yeah", he says. "The body is in the back of the van...go look."

"Uhh..no thanks. I've seen my share of bodies.", I said grimacing.

"No really, go look. It's Ok. You can get close to the van.", I'm told.

He seemed really insistant on me going to see the body, so I apprehensively head over to the van and look in the back window.

And well, the cop was right. There was a body in the back or the van.

On a stretcher covered with a wrapping of XYZ funeral home.

The van was a mortician's hearse.

I look back at the cop and his partner and they're laughing. The one cop gets out and says to me, "I told you it was a fatal."

Everybody's a comedian!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, now that's a good one

JL said...

That's crazy.