Thursday, March 16, 2006

That Was An SUV

Had a busy night. The night started off with trying to find a car accident that the local police wouldn't fess up to. I spent a good 20 minutes driving around until I found it. Turned out not to be all that serious. It was an SUV on it's side. Two occupants were transported. Nothing major.

Then on the way into work, I get a call to check out a teen shot in the chest. He was shot in a robbery attempt. I get to the scene and find nothing. Either he wasn't shot, was shot and it wasn't that bad or it didn't happen.

Next, I had to go out and find baby formula with soy in it and buy it. Our EP is a great fan of reporters with props for live shots. So, I plopped down $25 bucks for baby formula. As I'm leaving the store, I get a phone call from the desk to head to a car crash involving a police chase.

Image hosting by Photobucket This is what I came to find. It was an SUV at one time. It ran into a building, ending the chase. The rescue units are cutting the roof off of it, and off to the side, one person is being put onto a stretcher. Apparantly they were ejected about 15 feet out of the truck.

I get two other people being extracted from the vehicle. Then I run into the bitch cop from hell. She's a young cop and decided to use her super badge powers. I'm a good 50 feet from the scene, in no way interfering with the rescue. I get yelled at to get back...back....BACK!!!!! I point out to her that the public is walking up to the site and she proceeds to tell me to shut up and get BAAAAAACK!!!

So, I walked back another 50 feet and used my extender to get the rest of the extractions. The bitch cop from hell gets in her car and leaves. I look around to see her go and walk back to the original spot I was before.

I finish shooting the scene when the SIU guy comes over to me and tells me he's retiring in June. I'm heartbroken. This man is one of my best police informants. He's what a true media friendly police officer should be. He is also on the bomb squad and SWAT teams. I'm going to miss him. He's always been there for me and given me info that the other stations haven't had. Plus he's a really funny guy and makes some long scenes go faster.

Sorry for not blogging more recently but I've been kind of busy at home. Things should pick up again.

No comments: