Thursday, March 02, 2006

Fire and Rain

Don't you just love busy mornings?? We were out doing traffic reporting because of supposed icy rain that would hamper morning rush hour traffic. It was supposed to hit and cause all kinds of calamity. Well, the freezing rain that was coming showed up around 10:30am which didn't hinder morning rush hour at all. Whenever we get warnings like this, panic ensues and I think of Chicken Little. Apparantly the sky falls a lot around here in winter.

Then right after the "ice storms" were to come through, my reporter and I get a call of a bad fire on the near west side of Cleveland. A boarding house is on fire and there may be people trapped inside. Turns out that we can see the smoke from the fire about 2 miles away. We get there to an inferno. A mentally disabled man died in the fire. The owner of the home, an 80 year old man, was burned over 50 percent of his body.

My day was a good 11 hour day and to quote James Taylor, "I've seen fire and I've seen rain...."

No comments: