Sunday, July 20, 2008

Say What?

This past Friday I covered the funeral for a fallen police officer. We were in the small town of Tallmadge, OH where the funeral home was. People had placed small American flags along the street where the procession would start to take the officer to his funeral.

I was setting my camera up after running cable (this was at 4:45a.m.) when a man driving by slows, rolls his window down and asks, "What's going on? A parade?"

Excuse me? Pardon my language but Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Now I'm smart enough to understand that not everyone keeps up with the news. As much as I'd like people to be more aware, it just isn't going to happen.

But why would anyone think that news cameras lined up and pointing at a funeral home could possibly suggest a parade?

Oh but it got better. I was asked a second time by a totally different person driving by, with their child in their car, when the parade started.

A Summit County deputy was walking past and mumbled loud enough for me to hear him.

"Dipshit."

I couldn't agree more deputy.

4 comments:

Frumpy Curmudgeon said...

morons. I loved it when I was a photog and got some mouth-breather walking by and asking "whatcha doin', takin' pictures?" I so wanted to point to my camera and say, "no, this is a laser death ray gun designed to cleanse the gene pool by summarily vaporizing stupid people like you!".

Anonymous said...

Vanilla, the woman probably wouldn't have understood!

Newshutr, at least you didn't get approached by hookers wanting to party! (Inside joke...he knows what I'm talking about.)

taawd said...

great seeing you and meeting your wife. you guys slipped out of the party. i left at 10:30pm. my body clock told me it was time to throw in the towel.

ah, the adventures of an executive producer working mornings. the body doesn't know if it's coming or going.

taawd said...

one more quick post -- check out my blog for your taawdy award.

congratulations!!