Friday, January 21, 2005

Apathy and Murder

This early morning, I was sent to a homicide. The location wasn't in one of the nicer places in the city but, with the cops there, it makes it a little easier to get what you need. As soon, as I pulled out the camera from my Explorer, the heads started popping out of the windows like Punxatawny Phil on February 2nd.

"Hey newsman...what happened??", "Someone get shot??", "Who died??", and my favorite, "Where's your hot reporter??"

Well, turns out, it was a homicide. Male shot dead in the upstairs of a duplex house. As a neighbor poked her head out and asked what happened, I told her my standard line so as not to get into a longer conversation than necessary. "I don't know. Came over as a man shot. I don't know any more than that."

The neighbor starts to lay on me all the stuff that's been goin on in the house recently. "They have a pit bull. The have dog fights there. They have people visiting at all times..day and night. There's been gunshots there before."

I asked the neighbor, "Did you call the police anytime when these things happened??" "Oh NO", she said, "I'd never want to get involved." Ok. You know their business but you don't want to get involved??

Well, maybe if she or anyone would have called and reported this, a man might not have lost his life. He might be alive right now. Maybe in jail, but alive.

But then again, the realist side of me says, "If you live the life that's dangerous, you might wind up dead."

Then, there's times I usually don't really give a rats ass. Another drug dealer off the streets.


That's about my mood right now.

No comments: