Saturday, January 08, 2005

Real Football

Living and working in Cleveland, OH has been the best experience of my life. I love the area, the people are fantastic, the scenery reminds me of home. Home is Pittsburgh, PA. When I was growing up, it was the era of the Steel Curtain. "Mean" Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw, Franco, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Lambert, Ham, Blount, Russell, etc.. Really good football. Now, I live in the Black hole of the N.F.L's proverbial Calcutta.



Yes, I'm a transplant to the hated home of the Steeler's dreaded rivals. I came to Cleveland in the Spring of '95, and saw great baseball. Then came the fall..and Browns football. And then the fall of Browns football. When Art Modell moved the franchise to Baltimore, I was overjoyed. Never had I been so happy to see the literal heart of a city ripped from it's still beating chest and shown to them.

Then I had no one to hate. Zip. Nada. Nothing. The Browns weren't there anymore. I could just hate them in memory. Hating the Ravens or Cincinatti wasn't the same.

Then the Browns came back. I had them to hate again. And every year, it grows stronger and stronger. Oh, I'll admit, I do hope that they do well, except for when they play my Steelers. But, since the rise of Ben Roethlisberger and a 15-1 record going into the playoffs, I've really come to enjoy the way real football is played again.

Real football is something I can't get here in Cleveland. Real football is 96 miles away to the east from me and I can only see it sporadically on TV.

Well, now I get to overdose on Playoff football. And I am sure that I'll see my Steelers go to and win the Super Bowl this year.

Real football, I'm glad you're back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a great time of year - Play offs!
Go Jets!! j/k :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhh. You can take the boy out of the Burgh, but you can't take the Burgh out of the boy. ;-)

Get yourself some kielbasa, perogies, and Iron City and enjoy the game Saturday.

GO STILLERS!

~Tresses