Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Grace From Above..Plus A Kenworth

Covering news for the time that I have, I'd thought I'd seen most everything possible. This morning I found I was sorely wrong. I was called out for a "vehicle hanging over a guard rail." Standard stuff, right?? I thought so, until I got there.

I pull up to the area, but I can't actually get to the scene because the accident is on a ramp which connects with three other ramps. Plus the Cleveland police were being a little ornery tonight and wouldn't let me near it.

So, I found a side road about 50 feet away from the scene. I got out of my car and looked. Seemed to be just a run of the mill Semi on it's side. I clicked my camera on the tripod and zoomed in to focus. This is when I saw this.

I couldn't believe that there was a car under the semi. The car, a Honda Accord, was flattened for the most part. I thought that this HAS to be a fatal ax. No doubt about it.

Then I look at the fire and police units. They're all standing around laughing and chatting. No tarps are being brought out. No jaws of life or generators being hauled up to the Honda. Wow, this must not be a fatal afterall.

Ok, that mystery was solved. But what about the semi?? How did the accident happen?? Well, I notice the cops now looking up to the freeway about. This particular section has I-71 passing about 15 feet overhead and Rt.176 below it. Imagine a double decker freeway system. The accident is on 176.

A cop car pulls up and stops on I-71 and an officer gets out. He starts looking around up on I-71 and then it hit me!!

THE SEMI FELL FROM I-71 TO RT.176 AND FLATTENED THE HONDA!!!!

Turns out, that is what happened: Icy overpass, semi going too fast, loses control, and goes up and over the barrier, then down for a little swan dive.

But the best part of this is, there were two people in the Honda. Both got out safely with hardly a scratch. How?? Luck?? Right timing?? Grace of God??


It HAD to be Divine Intervention. Why?? One of the passengers in the Honda is a 22 year old woman. Oh by the way, she happens to be 5 months pregnant.

The driver of semi is doing just fine as well.

Video link here.

1 comment:

Lenslinger said...

Great story, Newshutr - the fun never stops, eh?